If you have decided to enroll your child in a distance learning program, you must prepare your child and your household so your child can get the best of learning online. Here are some tips on how you can prepare your home for distance learning.
Prepare a conducive learning space
- Choose a place in your home that is well-lit and cozy for your child.
- Prepare a table and comfortable chair that your child can work his exercises on. If you do not have a study table, your dining area can be converted into a study space when he/she needs it.
- Remove any distractions that can catch your child’s eye when he/she is studying. Set aside mobile gadgets, game consoles in his study area. Remove the TV’s from your child’s line of sight during his lessons.
- Decorate your study space as if your child is in a classroom. This way, he/she feels like he is in the center. Having a class set up at home adds to his/her study experience. It’s just like being out in the center again.
Set a schedule
Discuss with your center’s educator your child’s study schedule at home. Make this a sacred hour at home. This means that there should be minimal noise, no distractions from other family members, and no heavy usage of the internet when the child is studying.
- When it is time for the child’s lessons, be sure to be present so you can monitor his progress. As a parent/guardian, you will be the child’s educator at home. Your Izumi educator will be there (on-screen) to assist you and the child if you have any questions.
- Your Izumi educator will ask you to take photos of your child’s work and send it to your designated messaging app. You may also teach your children to do this on their own so that they can be more independent.
- Make sure your internet is stable. We recommend that you ask your family members to refrain from streaming videos during your child’s study hour. This would greatly help your child have a smooth lesson flow.
- Observe your child while doing the lessons. If you notice anything of concern, you may discuss this with your Izumi educator so she can help you.
The most important thing for the child is to maintain their focus during the lessons. It would require everyone’s cooperation during his/her study hour. Let us help our children continue having fun while learning even during this quarantine period.